Getting Started with Medicaid
HOW DO I APPLY?
Medicaid is a health insurance program for people who cannot afford health care. Medicaid helps parents, children, seniors, and people with disabilities.
Medicaid may help pay for medical expenses such as:
- Doctor and hospital bills.
- Personal Care services, medical equipment, and other home health services.
- In-home care under the Community Alternatives Program (CAP).
- Mental health care.
- Medically-necessary services for children under age 21.
CONTACT AN ENROLLMENT BROKER
The NC Medicaid Enrollment Broker can help you learn about health care choices. The Enrollment Broker also can help you find a primary care provider and enroll you in a health care plan.
Visit the NC Medicaid Enrollment Broker website for more information
You also may call the Enrollment Broker toll-free: 1-833-870-5500 (TTY: 711, or RelayNC.com).
The Enrollment Broker can speak to you in other languages if needed.
Enrollment Broker hours: 7 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Saturday.
Apply online for Medicaid
If you do not want to apply for Medicaid on the internet, you can ask for an application to be mailed to you.
Contact your county Department of Social Services (DSS)
You can fill out the application and mail it back to the DSS office. You also can apply in person at your DSS office. If you have a disability, a county DSS worker may come to your home and help you apply.
- Call the Enrollment Broker toll-free: 1-833-870-5500 (TTY: 711, or RelayNC.com)
- Call your county Department of Social Services (DSS)
- Call the Sandhills Center Tailored Plan Member & Recipient Services: 1-800-256-2452 (TTY: 1-866-518-6778)